The Percy country, which lies in Northumberland, extends some 23 miles north to the south ad 20 miles east to west. The country runs from Budle Bay in the north to the river Coquet in the south, the A697 in the west and to the North Sea in the east.
During the latter part of the 18th and early 19th centuries numerous gentlemen at different times had small packs of hounds, and hunted what is now the Percy country, until Lord Elcho (subsequently Lord Wemyss) hunted what is now the Berwickshire, North Northumberland and Percy countries. In 1850 Lord Wemyss lent that part of his country which is now the Percy to W Selby of Biddlestone, who hunted it until 1858.
In 1870 Major A Browne, of Doxford Hall bought Lord Poltimore’s pack (then the Cattistock), from which the present pack are descended, and hunted the present Percy country. In 1874 the west part of the country was lent to what is now the West Percy. In 1892 the north part of the country was lent to R Burdon Sanderson, but in 1905 Mr Burdon Sanderson retired and the Percy resumed the loan. In 1921 the north west of the country was lent to Lt Col R H Milvain, who retired in 1955. This part of the country was named the Milvain (Percy). The Milvain country was reabsorbed into the Percy in 1997. The Old English pack of hounds today belong to the Duke of Northumberland.
The kennels are on the edge of Alnwick in a beautiful spot on the banks of the River Aln, just down river from Alnwick Castle.